Our History

Organized in 1958, with 71 charter members, Cocoa Presbyterian Church has developed alongside the NASA Space Program.

A wide diversity of individuals and families call it “home” and describe it as a congregation that provides meaningful worship, enlightening studies and enriching opportunities of service and fellowship.

COCOA PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH HISTORY TIMELINE
1957-2014

  • December 1, 1957 19 people met in Cocoa to make plans for organizing a Presbyterian Church, US, under leadership of Rev. Augustus Summers.
  • January 1, 1958 Rev. Hugh C. Hamilton began as home mission pastor.
  • May 4, 1958 Organization of the Cocoa Presbyterian Church by St. Johns Presbytery with 71 Charter members
  • 1959 First building – Fellowship Hall completed
  • January 1960 Sunday School Annex of three rooms was completed
  • 1961 First organ purchased, a Conn Classic
  • October 1962 Building #3 (Offices & Pre-School Classes) completed
  • 1965 Building #4 (elementary classrooms) completed
  • October 3, 1965 Hamilton’s left Cocoa for new church development in Titusville, Florida
  • 1965-1966 Rev. John Henderson of Miami, Fl. served as Interim Pastor (3 months)
  • December 19, 1965 Rev. Ernest H. Flaniken called as Pastor
  • February 13, 1966 Rev. Flaniken‘s first Sunday in pulpit
  • October 1967 Planning council elected to begin Sanctuary plans
  • Jan. – Aug. 1968 $50,000 building fund drive completed for new Sanctuary
  • November 24, 1968 Groundbreaking for new Sanctuary
  • October 5, 1969 Dedication of new Sanctuary
  • 1973 Gary Coppedge, Louisville Seminary Summer Intern
  • Summer 1974 Exchange Pastor, Rev. Alexander (Sandy) McLachlan from Scotland
  • October 1975 Extended Ministry Program begun
  • 1977 Joe Reggin, University of South Florida, Summer Intern
  • 1977 Rogers Organ purchased from St. Mark’s Episcopal Church
  • 1979 Richard & Marla Myers Summer Interns
  • Summer 1979 Exchange Pastor, Rev. Alexander (Sandy) McLachlan from Scotland
  • 1980 Elbert Darden, Columbia Seminary, Summer Intern
  • 1981 Randy Clayton, Columbia Seminary, Summer Intern
  • 1982 Richard Troost, Columbia Seminary, Summer Intern
  • 1983-1984 Lynn Holiday, Columbia Seminary, Intern one year
  • 1983 Reunion of Presbyterian Church, US and United Presbyterian Church UPCUSA to form the Presbyterian Church (USA)
  • 1984-1986 Rev. Dan Sanders-Wooly, Associate Pastor
  • 1986 Beth Hutton, Interim worker
  • 1988-1992 Rev. G. Richard Troost, Jr., Associate pastor
  • May 1, 1988 Paul Hise Scout Lodge dedicated
  • 1989 Purchased a Rodgers Organ with the Porter Memorial
  • 1991 Purchased and dedicated a midi keyboard in honor of Mary Louise Flaniken, choir Director
  • February 3, 1991 Dedication of Fellowship Hall in honor of Rev. Ernest H. & Mary L. Flaniken
  • February 16, 1991 Ernest Flaniken retired as pastor of Cocoa Presbyterian Church after 25 years
  • May 1, 1991 The Shepherd Program begun
  • March 91’-Jan. 92’ Dr. Bill Brown served as Interim Pastor
  • March 1, 1992 Welcomed Rev. Charles R. & Mrs. Chris Philips, David, Christy, Abbey & Tim
  • May 1992 $200,000 Bond Program for renovation begun
  • January 1993 Samick Grand piano dedicated from Roy & Esther Lealman
  • Summer 1994 Youth/Christian Education Director Paul Becker
  • Summer 1994 Youth/Christian Education Director Angie Waller
  • Summer 1995 Sandy Hill, Columbia Seminary, Summer Intern
  • January 1996 Building of Jennie McElveen Memorial Library
  • July 1996 Welcomed DCE/Youth Director Mark Pardue, wife Jodi and son Jacob
  • Sept. 2000-Aug.01’ Dr. Robert Ledbetter served as Interim Pastor
  • Sept. 2001-Mar.03’ Rev. Fred Fife served as Interim Pastor
  • May 2002 Welcomed Youth Director Peggy Wilson & Music Director Linda Dearborn
  • April 1, 2003 Welcomed Dr. Robert M. Wallace, Jr. and wife Sissy
  • April 2006 $105,000 Capital Campaign “Celebrating 50 Years…Preparing for the Future”
  • 2007 Remodeled Kitchen with Capital Campaign $6,000.00
  • July 2007 Director of Programs and Growth, Anne Adams and husband Trell
  • 2008 Celebrated a Year-Long 50th Anniversary
  • Nov. 1, 2011 Dr. Robert M. Wallace, Jr. retired
  • March 1, 2014 Welcomed Rev. Dr. Lucas de Paiva Pina and wife Marta
  • Summer 2019 Welcomed Director of Music Sarina Wolfgang and Organist Chandler Myron
  • Fall 2020 Launched the new Cocoa Presbyterian Website